About City Bird Sanctuary
In 1975, Shri S.K. Sharma, Secretary, Environment Society Chandigarh observed that Green Parakeets were flying over old Ropar-Ambala road in East – West corridor which happens to be passing over sector – 21 park, have found a new home there for roosting i.e. spending night there.
- Increasing urbanisation /heavy Construction activity in adjoining Chandimandir, manimanjara & Panchkula creating distrubing condition for ecology had urged the parakeets to find sector-21 park as new home.Thus,it was decided that park be sifted from UT Hoticulture Department to the Forest Department.
- Continuing efforts on the part of Environment Society finaly led UT administration to declare much cherished Urban wildlife sancuary as a second wildlife spot in city Chandigarh .Chandigarh Administration declared 2.9 hectare area of sectore 21 park as Chandigarh City Bird Sanctuary on 29th September ,1988.
Natural Varieties AT BIRD Sanctuary
There are wide variety of trees, shrubs, herbs, grasses and climbers. The prominent among them are: Acacia catechu (Khair), Acacia modesta (Phulai), Acacia arabica (Kikar), Acacia leucophloea (Raeru), Dalbergia sisoo (Shisham), Anogeissus latifolia (Chhal), Azadirachta indica (Neem), Bombax ceiba (Semal), Butea frondosa (Dhak), Bauhinia racemosa (Kachnar), Emblica officinalis (Amla), Morus alba (Tut), Lannea grandis (Jhingan), Diospyros montana (Kendu), Murraya koenigii (Kari patta), Prospois juliflora (Musket), Cassia fistula (Amaltas), Zizyphus jujoba (Ber), Vitex negundo (Chinese chaste) etc.
It mainly consisi of grasses such as Cynadone ,dactylone,Dicanthium annulatum ,Bathtiochloa Colonum,E.Specigera,Digiteria,Pespelum,Pespelidium,etc.Other such as Sida Cordifolia, S. Rhombifolia,launea,Tridex,Rivina humilis,Perstrophe,bicalculata etc.
Main species which provide shelter to Parakeets are deeply fooliage trees such as Ficus infectoria Syzigyum cumini,Morus alba ,Schleichera oleosa.
- Mammals: Leopard, Sambhar, Spotted Deer (Chital), Pangolin (ant eater), Wild boar, Jackal, small Indian Civet, Jungle Cat, Porcupine, Hanuman Langur, Rhesus Monkey, Indian Hare, Common Mongoose, Common rat, Squirrel
- Birds: There are more than 262 varieties of birds including aquatic birds. Prominent among them are Peacock, Red jungle fowl, Grey partridge, Cuckoos, Night jars, Golden Oriole, Kingfisher, Swifts, Hoopoes, Hornbills, Barbets, Woodpeckers, Rollers, Barn owls, Parrots, Doves, Plovers, Coots, Hawks, Geese, Swan, Ducks,
- Reptiles: Cobra, Rat snake, Common Krait, Russell’s viper, Indian Python and common Monitor (Gho) etc.
- Insects: Wide variety of Butterflies, Moth, Honey-bee and other micro-organisms are in abundance.
Environment Society Chandigarh observed that Green Parakeets were flying over old Ropar-Ambala road in East – West corridor which happens to be passing over sector – 21 park, have found a new home there for roosting.It was estimated that there were as many as 25000 green parakeets.Heavy constructive activities creating distubing condition for their ecology had urged parakeeds to find Sector – 21 park as new home .Finally, Chandigarh administration declared 2.9 hectare area of sectore 21 park as Chandigarh City Bird Sanctuary on 29th September ,1988.
AREA :- The Sancuary occupies an area of 1.8 hac.and surrounded by a wall separating it from the Park .The area has a Kutcha path in the sancuary covering about half area .
FACILITY :- The sanctuaru had water pump of MCPH at one end on western side.There is a shallow water point created and fed with rubber pipe from the pump .There are 3-4 benches placed at various location in the sanctuary nut in the delapidated shape .
The Kutcha path is half way sunken into shaddow pond created by excessive water inflow from the small gate opening in the park which appears to be draining southwestward into the sanctuary due to natural slope and in the eventuality of rainfall.